STEP 2: Build and Manage the Team
This step focuses on establishing not only the core team that will be responsible for shepherding the planning and change processes, but also specifically identifying how stakeholders throughout the organization will be engaged. This is more than just planning to communicate the strategies and action steps that emerge from a small group of decision-makers, but rather designing a structure so that these changes can emerge from the subject matter expertise and deep thinking of the entire range of campus stakeholders. Responsible parties should be identified to make sure such engagement and action is occurring, to ensure that appropriate progress is being made and momentum is maintained throughout the life of the project.
Step 2: Build and Manage the Team has a set of activities which will be tailored given the goal.
- Establish the core team
- Determine roles, governance, and stakeholders
- Assess stakeholder's current engagement and appetite for change
- Develop stakeholder engagement plans
- Schedule and begin to plan for relevant meetings and milestones and assign leads
- Compile initial data and resources for analysis
- Applied Inquiry Framework for Student Completion: Nuances of Completion
Examines the hidden complexity of completion outcome data and offers an approach to teasing out the complex factors that affect student completion in order to boost student success.
- NCII Inquiry Guide - Nuances of Completion: Improving Student Outcomes by Unpacking the Numbers
- Stakeholder Engagement: An Overview
Public Agenda shares its philosophy and best practices of public engagement. These materials provide a frame for understanding public engagement and provides general tools consistent with this technique.
- Public Agenda: Engaging Faculty during Student Pathways Implementation
- Public Agenda/WestEd: Student Focus Group Resource Guide
- Public Agenda: Internal Stakeholder Engagement Workshop Toolkit
- Public Agenda: Completion by Design Facilitator’s Handbook
- Public Agenda: Student Voices on the Pathway to Completion
- Community Mediation: Principles of Conflict Resolution
- Public Engagement: A Primer from Public Agenda
- Step 2: How to Build and Manage Your Transformation Team